Bar Fined More Than $155,000 After Serving Teen Liquid Nitrogen Cocktail

| by Amanda Andrade-Rhoades
liquid nitrogen cocktailliquid nitrogen cocktail

Liquid nitrogen, also known as dry ice, was briefly a popular ingredient in novelty cocktails because of the smoking, bubbling effect it creates. However, Gaby Scanlon, of Heysham, Lancashire, learned the hard way that it can be a dangerous additive.

On Scanlon’s 18th birthday in 2012, she was given a Nitro-Jagermeister cocktail.

“I turned to the man and asked if it was OK to drink,” Scanlon told Preston Crown Court on Sept. 17 this year. "He said ‘yes.’ Smoke was coming from my nose and mouth. Straight away I knew something was not right. My stomach expanded. The manager said nothing about waiting for it to die down."

Scanlon was transported to Royal Lancaster Infirmary, where her stomach and her small bowel connected with her esophagus were removed in a bid to save her life.

The bar that gave her the drink, Oscar’s Wine Bar, and Bistro pleaded guilty in court this week to one count of failing in the duty of an employer to ensure the safety of persons not in its employment, The Guardian reported. According to the BBC, the bar was fined more than $155,000.

Judge Pamela Badley slammed the bar for its actions and said it “fell very far short of standards."

The bar’s lawyer, Kevin McLoughlin, apologized for the incident: “The company and the family are truly sorry. At no time did they see anything warning them of the risks of ingestion. The essence of this calamity was the ignorance on the part of the company."

Sources: BBC, The Guardian Photo credit: John/Flickr