Six California Teens Hospitalized for Drinking Hand Sanitizer
What won’t teenagers do to get intoxicated?
Continuing a sick new trend that doctors and nurses have been observing in emergency rooms across the country, six Southern California teens landed themselves in hospital beds after chugging alcoholic hand sanitizer.
Most anti-bacterial gels contain about 62% ethyl alcohol – that’s 124 proof for the sauce-savvy. That means a shot of hand sanitizer contains more intoxicating booze than most liquors.
The pediatric toxicologist at Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx, New York, said she hasn’t yet seen teens overdosing on the alcoholic gel, though she's aware the problem exists. “Teens don’t have access to ethyl alcohol so they resort to crazy things,” she said. “It’s very concentrated, just a few ounces can make someone sick.”
She equates the hand sanitizer fad to the previous passing trend of teens chugging cough syrup containing the compound dextromethorphan. Doctors in California recommend that parents purchase anti-microbial gels in foam form because the foams are harder to ingest in dangerous amounts.
See one of the many YouTube videos that these crazy kids have been posting below: