An Oklahoma toddler is dead after swallowing a small silver button battery.
Brianna Florer, 2, was opening presents with her older brother and two sisters, News OK reported.
“On Saturday she was fine,” Florer’s grandfather, Kent Vice, told News OK.
Brianna had been suffering from a low-grade fever throughout the week and was throwing up, Vice said. The little girl turned blue and started throwing up blood. The girl’s parents, Brian and Stephanie Florer, called an ambulance.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
“She threw up again,” Vice said. “It was a massive amount of blood, and they rushed her to the Grove hospital.”
An X-ray showed that Brianna had swallowed a tiny silver button battery. She was rushed to St. Francis Hospital in Tulsa by ambulance for emergency surgery. The child could not be airlifted to the hospital due to poor weather conditions.
“They operated on her for 2½ hours, but they couldn't stop the bleeding,” Vice explained. “They believed the battery ate through to her carotid artery by way of her esophagus.”
Brianna passed away that evening.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
“One minute she is perfect, and the next minute she is dead,” Vice added. “We had no idea when she swallowed [the battery].”
The family was told Brianna probably swallowed the small battery within six days of her death. Vice now wants to raise awareness about the dangers of button batteries.
“I want to keep these things out of houses,” he said. “They are dangerous.”
The family started a GoFundMe page to help pay for Brianna’s funeral expenses. The page raised nearly $10,000 in seven months.
“I wanted to thank all who have given gifts large or small,” Brian Florer’s brother wrote. “Not only have these gifts helped my brother's family through this most difficult time but the kind words and knowing that this tragedy may help prevent others from going through the same thing has given them much comfort. Thank you!”