A 16-year-old girl from Arizona died while on vacation in Mexico. Doctors suggest she died because of what she was drinking on the beach: Energy drinks.
Lanna Hamann was vacationing with friends in Rocky Point, Mexico, when she had a heart attack and died. According to Syracuse.com, the teen’s friends with whom she was traveling said that rather than staying hydrated with water, Lanna had been drinking energy drinks at the beach.
Reports say Lanna told the father of one of her friends that she was not feeling well after a day spent in the sun on June 14, 2014. Complaining of having breathing problems, the high school sophomore went to a clinic where she went into cardiac arrest and died.
Friends and family were shocked by the cause of death for a teenager so healthy and athletic.
“Anything can happen at any time, and it was so unexpected,” said one of Lanna's friends.
Lanna’s mother, Kris Hamann, described her daughter who was a star softball athlete as having a “beautiful smile” and “outgoing personality,” reported Syracuse.com.
"(Parents should) make sure they're watching their kids. (Watch) what they're drinking and (make sure) they're drinking water instead of an energy drink," Hamann said.
Friends described the teen as a sweet and funny person who was loved by everyone, and they also mentioned Lanna’s love of energy drinks.
“She just loved her Red Bull,” a friend said.
According to Phoenix-area cardiologist Jack Wolfson, the high levels of caffeine and sugar in energy drinks were likely the culprit in this case, reported KSAZ.
“There is medical evidence that these things do harm, they can cause changes in the heart rhythm, and impact blood pressure,” Wolfson explained.
Due to complications with Lanna’s birth certificate, the cost to transport Lanna's body to the U.S. was more than $13,000. The family raised enough money for this through a GoFundMe page and Well's Fargo Account.
Photo Credit: Live Free Natural