Health

12-Year-Old Boy Comes Dangerously Close To Death Over Single Blister On Foot

| by Sarah Fruchtnicht

A 12-year-old British boy nearly died after a blister on his foot became infected, all because he was wearing shoes without socks.

Macenzie Campbell’s mother thought the spot on his foot was simply a wart. She applied a treatment, but the next day the foot was swollen and a red rash appeared all over his body.

His temperature soared and by the time he was rushed to a hospital he was suffering toxic shock. His vital organs were shutting down and hospital staff advised him to call relatives to say his final goodbyes.

Emergency surgery to remove the infected tissue saved his life.

Popular Video

A police officer saw a young black couple drive by and pulled them over. What he did next left them stunned:

Popular Video

A police officer saw a young black couple drive by and pulled them over. What he did next left them stunned:

“Doctors said six to 12 hours later, he’d have been dead,” his mother Joanne Campbell, 38, told the Daily Mail.

“It was terrifying,” Macenzie said. “I wasn’t only scared for myself, I was scared for my family.

“It had seemed like a normal blister," he added. "but I gradually started to feel worse and worse. I felt sick, everything was blurry and my heart was racing. I didn’t know what was going on."

“We thought we were going to lose him. He was ringing all of us in case he didn’t make it,” said his grandmother Kate Campbell.

Macenzie is now recovering at home.

Sources: Daily Mail, The Bolton News

Image credit: Flickr Creative Commons / John Lambert Pearson, Bestylish.org