A 10-year-old boy from Plymouth, Boston, wound up in the emergency room after consuming an energy drink mix given to him by a classmate.
When Dylan Butler came home from school his mother, Josee Tolles, immediately recognized that something was wrong.
"He was stumbling down the stairs, he was slurring his words, he couldn't really walk straight," Tolles told WBZ. "He seemed like he was spacing out a bit. Certainly there was something going on that was not normal. It was not behavior that I had ever seen before."
When Butler began vomiting, Tolles rushed him to the hospital, where he told doctors he had consumed an unknown energy drink on the bus.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"They just said it was a Kool-Aid mix and it tasted really good," Butler recalled to WFXT. "It was kind of scary, because I didn't know what was happening. I don't even really remember it, I kind of half blacked out."
Hospital workers contacted the police, and they located the boy who had given Butler the drink.
They determined that the mixture in question was G-Fuel. It's manufactured by a company called Gamma Labs and marketed as a product that improves focus, specifically while playing video games.
The recommended serving for adults is one teaspoon, according to WFXT. Butler consumed about a quarter cup.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
Marcia Richards, a registered dietician at Beth Israel Deaconess in Plymouth, said adults should be aware of the dangers of energy drinks like G-Fuel.
"The synergy between caffeine and taurine is said to improve athletic performance and perhaps attention, but also has a strong effect on cardiac function," she told WBZ. "It's really important to be talking about these kinds of things [even to very young children]."
Tolles admitted to being angered by the frightening experience.
"I've kind of gone back and forth between being really angry that this is even available [and] being concerned," she said, adding, "I was shocked by so many different things. We're talking [about] fifth-grade kids. This is young."
A representative of G-Fuel told WBZ he was "horrified" to learn of the incident and said the product is marketed to those over 18. It can only be purchased online with a credit card, according to WBZ.