Happy Cinco de Mayo! Whip up some easy and delicious vegan Mexican food courtesy of SheKnows Vegan:
Frozen Vegan Margaritas
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
- Sea salt
- 6 ounces tequila
- 2 ounces triple sec
- 2 ounces agave nectar
- 1 cup fresh fruit (strawberries, raspberries, kiwi, melon, etc)
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 cups crushed ice
- 1) Sprinkle salt in a small plate.
2) Dip margarita glasses in water then place rims in the salt to coat.
3) Place remaining ingredients in a blender and blend until combined.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
4) Pour into glasses and serve.
Vegan Spinach and Tofu Enchiladas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch spinach, trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound firm tofu, drained, pressed, and mashed
- 1 cup black olives, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup picante sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 vegan flour tortillas
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce, warm
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese of your choice (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
2) Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring often, for 1 minute
3) Add spinach and cook, stirring often, until spinach is wilted.
4) Add tofu, olives, spices, oregano, and picante sauce and cook, stirring often, until mixture is hot. Season with salt and pepper.
5) Divide filling among the tortillas, wrapping them into burritos.
- 6) Pour 1/3 cup of the sauce in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
7) Set burritos inside dish, side by side, and pour remaining enchilada sauce overtop.
Sprinkle with vegan cheese, if using. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted.
Makes 8 tacos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces tempeh, crumbled
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- Taco seasoning to taste
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 8 (6-inch) whole wheat or corn tortillas, warmed
- 4 green onions, chopped (white and green parts)
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 4 ounces shredded vegan cheese
- 1) Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add tempeh and pepper and cook, stirring, for about 6 minutes.
2) Add the taco seasoning, water, beans, and tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
3) Serve tempeh mixure in the tortillas with the onions, lettuce, and cheese.