Christine O'Donnell's infamous quote "I'm not a witch" shares top honors on the list of the best quotes of 2010.
Yale Law School associate librarian Fred Shapiro has released his fifth annual list of the most notable quotations of the year. And O'Donnell's "witch" ad, in which she was responding to an old clip in which she said she "dabbled in witchcraft" was the best of all.
"It was such a remarkable unconventional quote to be a part of the political discourse," Shapiro said.
Popular VideoThis judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:
The quote actually tied for first place with BP CEO Tony Hayward saying "I'd like my life back" in the midst of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
"People resented the fact that he was wanting to get back to his yacht races and other aspects of his normal life when those little problems were dwarfed by the magnitude of what people on the Gulf Coast were dealing with," Shapiro said.
In reviewing his list, Shapiro came up with a pretty good quote of his own: "The quotes become perhaps stronger, harsher, more unconventional every year."
Here's the list:
1. (TIE) "I'm not a witch."
-- Christine O'Donnell, television advertisement, Oct. 4.
1. (TIE) "I'd like my life back."
-- Tony Hayward, comment to reporters, May 30.
3. "If you touch my junk, I'm gonna have you arrested."
-- Airline passenger John Tyner, to Transportation Security Administration worker at San Diego airport, Nov. 13, 2010
4. "Don't retreat. Instead — reload!"
-- Sarah Palin, Tweet, March 23.
5. "Chi! Chi! Chi! Le! Le! Le! Los mineros de Chile!"
-- Chant at Chilean mine rescue, Oct. 13.
6. "I hope that's not where we're going, but you know, if this Congress keeps going the way it is, people are really looking toward those Second Amendment remedies. They're saying: My goodness, what can we do to turn this country around?"
-- Sharron Angle, radio interview in January.
7. "We have to pass the (health care) bill so you can find out what is in it."
-- Nancy Pelosi, speech to National Association of Counties, March 9.
8. "I'm going to take my talents to South Beach."
-- LeBron James, television broadcast, July 8.
9. "You're telling me that the separation of church and state is found in the First Amendment?"
-- Christine O'Donnell, Delaware senatorial debate, Oct. 19
10. "They should never have put me with that woman. ... She was just a sort of bigoted woman who said she used to be Labour."
-- Gordon Brown, about a voter he met while campaigning for British general election, Apr. 28.