Media

British Tabloid Folds After Murdered Girl Phone-Hacking Scandal

| by

News of the World executive James Murdoch says the British tabloid, at the center of accusations into the illegal hacking of cellphones, will publish its last issue Sunday. 

For Rupert Murdoch it's contrition time. In a statement on Wednesday, the media mogul said behaviour of staff at his British tabloid, the News of the World, had been “deplorable and unacceptable.” Police could expect full co-operation in their inquiries into the phone-hacking scandal that's rocked his British operation, News International, and “important steps” had been taken to ensure that illegal practices were never repeated. A powerful player in British politics for more than 40 years, Murdoch knows that a recognition of wrongdoing is now vital.

 But the harm is done. One glance at the British press suggests a deepening outrage that apologies won't satisfy. Among the latest crop of allegations: hackers paid by the News of the World tapped into the phones of the relatives of servicemen killed in Afghanistan and Iraq, as well as the families of victims of the 7/7 terrorist bombings in London. (The timing of the revelation is especially unfortunate: Thursday marks the sixth anniversary of the attack).

FROM MSNBC

Popular Video

This judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears: