It is being reported by MMA Junkie that Bellator has matched the UFC's offer for free agent Eddie Alvarez (24-2). The amount of the offer was not disclosed. At UFC 155, Dana White said that contract negations were about to turn ugly.
Per contract stipulations for Bellator fighters, the promotion has the right to match any outside bid. It is not known if the UFC will attempt to counter the offer.
Alvarez is a former Bellator lightweight champion who had been with the promotion since their inception in 2009. He won the Season 1 tournament and the title in the process. Alvarez's Bellator record was 9-1 with the only loss being against current titleholder Michael Chandler (10-0), who also took his belt.
Since that loss, Alvarez had won his previous two Bellator fights in 2012. He knocked out Shinya Aoki (32-6-1 NC) and Patricky Freire (10-4) in the first round.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
- Jon Fitch Sees GSP Defeating Nick Diaz, Facing Nate Marquardt After
- Michael Bisping Reflects On Alan Belcher, Tim Boetsch Fights
- Costa Philippou Targets Brian Stann-Wanderlei Silva Winner
- Bjorn Rebney Denies That Paul Daley Is Allowed To Compete For Another Promotion
- Bellator Commitment Removes Renato Sobral From Coaching On TUF: Brazil
- Video: New Promo For The Ultimate Fighter: Jones Vs. Sonnen
- UFC 155 Prelims Generate 1.4 Million Viewers
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.