By Americans for Medical Progress
As you will see in the list below, advances in research for human conditions often lead to applications for animals.
Benefits of Animal Research to Humans:
* Antibiotics for the treatment of bacterial infections
* Vaccines for smallpox, tetanus, diphtheria, polio, rubella, measles, lyme disease, hepatitis A + B, chicken pox, pneumonia, and flu.
* Insulin to control type 1 diabetes and islet transplantations to cure it.
* Anti-coagulants, anesthesia, and neuromuscular blocking agents.
* Targeted therapies for cancer patients.
* Pacemaker implants to treat cardiac patients.
* Medicines to control the progression of HIV/AIDS.
* Use of antiviral medicines to prevent HIV transmission from mother to child.
* Advances in cardiology, including open heart surgery, coronary bypass techniques and high blood pressure medication.
* Development of stem cell research techniques.
* Corneal transplantation.
* Organ transplant techniques and anti-rejection drugs.
* Medicines to reverse bone loss in osteoporosis.
Benefits of Animal Research to Animals
Medicines originally developed for humans are now used to treat pets, farm animals and wildlife, including anesthetics, tranquilizers, and pain killers.
* Ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging, and CAT scans to diagnose tumors and other conditions.
* Cataract surgery for blindness.
* Cardiac pacemakers.
* Immunization against distemper, rabies, parvovirus, infectious hepatitis, anthrax, and tetanus.
* Vaccine for feline leukemia.
* Skin grafts for wounds.
* Medicines to treat illnesses such as diabetes, heart failure and epilepsy in pets.
* The use of in vitro fertilization procedures to preserve endangered species.
* Laser surgical repair of congenital abnormalities and traumatic injuries.
* Treatment for parasites.
* Arthroscopic surgery.
* Radiation and immunotherapy for cancer.
And the list goes on and on....
POST YOUR COMMENT BELOW