Summer is here, and you’re about to take that long awaited vacation – a word synonymous with indulgence, escape, and breaking out of the daily routine. If you’ve been diligently working at establishing healthy lifestyle habits, this whole vacation concept may pose some anxiety. Never fear, because America’s Nutrition Expert has the tips you need to have a vacation that is fun, fabulous, and won’t leave you falling back on all of the great progress you’ve made!
1. Make a point to pack your workout clothes! Knowing that you’ve packed them and lugged them all the way to your destination, you’ll be more likely to use them!
2. If you are vacationing with family or friends who don’t want to join your workout, bite the bullet and wake up earlier than they do for a quick sweat session at the hotel’s gym, a walk along the beach (hopefully you have one!), or even try one of Exercise TV’s free full-length workout videos. Getting your blood pumping early in the morning will leave you feeling refreshed and energized for a day of vacation fun!
3. To really get a feel for your vacation spot, don’t count on sightseeing by car or tour bus. Instead, why not walk, hike or even rent a bicycle? In addition to it being a fun way to get to know your surroundings, you’re also cutting back on greenhouse gas emissions and sneaking in some exercise (burning some calories)! What’s not to love?
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
4. Before heading out on vacation, check out the local restaurant menus online! By knowing which restaurants have healthier fare from the get-go, you can avoid finding yourself stuck at a restaurant with limited healthy options. Plus, your traveling companions will be grateful for your superb dining recommendations.
5. Pack a few healthy snacks for the road. Dried fruit, almonds, high-fiber cereal, baby carrots, America's Nutrition Expert® approved energy bars (LARA Bars, Pure Bars, SoyJoy, Clif Nectar) are all great options that can easily keep you fueled throughout your day instead of succumbing to the offerings of street cart vendors.
6. When booking your reservations, try to choose places that have a refrigerator whenever possible. Then, when you get to your destination, take a trip to your the grocery store and stock up on some basics that will save both the budget and the waistline. Stock up on bottled water, organic milk, fresh fruit, whole wheat bread, natural peanut butter, and honey. You can have cereal for breakfast and peanut butter and honey sandwiches for a high energy snack on the go.
7. And finally, make time to indulge! You are on vacation after all! If there’s a local specialty you are just dying to try, go for it! Just suggest that your traveling companion shares it with you, and remember to savor each and every fabulous bite.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
Happy and safe travels!