Are you getting ready for a few months full of plane rides, car trips, and lots and lots of waiting around for your travel plans to begin? If you’re thinking that you’ll have to give up your healthy eating while you’re on the road, not to worry! You’ve got plenty of healthy options to choose from when you’re away from home – they just require a little bit of planning ahead before you leave home. Try some of these options the next time you’re on the go!
Popular VideoPeople were so furious about this Pepsi ad that Pepsi pulled it after just one day. Watch it here and decide if it's offensive:
- Clean, natural packaged bars. Despite the abundance of high-fructose corn syrup-sweetened products out there, there are definitely healthier options popping up on the grocery store shelves. One of my favorite options are LARABARS – as I tweeted a little while ago, they certainly helped me out in a pinch when I was awaiting a long layover in the airport! Look for a short ingredient list with recognizable foods for the best options.
- Oatmeal. The perfect healthy breakfast on the go – all you need to add is hot water! Make your own mix with rolled oats in a small plastic container, and flavor it with cinnamon, nutmeg, and dried cherries for a healthier option than sugary packaged versions.
- Fruit in its own package. Whether its bananas, apples, oranges, or grapes, these fruits are not only packaged up nicely on their own, but are also relatively inexpensive and easy to find when you’re travelling. Even better, use it to flavor your homemade oatmeal packs that you’re already bringing with you!
- Nuts or nut butter packs. Having a small portion of nuts with you can help stave off hunger pangs if your meal options are limited – nuts are a good source of healthy fats and protein to keep you feeling fuller longer. Some brands of almond butter even make “travel packages” that you can bring to squeeze onto a whole-grain roll, along with fruit, or atop your oatmeal!
- Small cooler (if travelling far distances, especially in the car). The best “defense” against all of the fast food restaurants you’ll see on the road is a great “offense” – preparation! Load up a small cooler with homemade sandwiches, salads, fruits & veggies, and keep it all cool with some ice packs. This makes healthy eating on the go a cinch – you’re ready with healthy options for those upcoming rest stops instead of having to settle for a meal high in calories, fat, and sodium from a fast food restaurant.
- Water! Perhaps the most important of all, bringing your reusable [BPA-free!] water bottle along with you on your travels is truly a necessity. Sometime we think our bodies are telling us they’re hungry, when really all we want is a refreshing drink of water!
What are your favorite foods and snacks to bring along with you on your travels? Hit the comments section below and let me know – I’d love to hear your tips and tricks!
Assistance provided by Megan Skinner