A draft that somehow went from the most boring event in town to the highlight of the sports calendar offered quite a few surprises within the first 10 picks. The Cleveland Cavaliers, after essentially pausing for suspense over the last 24 hours, opted to select Duke’s Kyrie Irving with their No. 1 overall pick. Then, as expected, the Minnesota Timberwolves took Derrick Williams with the second pick.
The Utah Jazz, who many considered the key to this entire draft went with size over their need at point guard and selected Enes Kanter. Then, with the No. 4 overall pick, the Cavs made the first truly surprising move of the day when they picked up Tristan Thompson out of Texas.
Popular VideoPeople were so furious about this Pepsi ad that Pepsi pulled it after just one day. Watch it here and decide if it's offensive:
Here is how the top 10 shaped up:
- Cleveland Cavaliers – Kyrie Irving, PG
- Minnesota Timberwolves – Derrick Williams, F
- Utah Jazz – Enes Kanter, PF
- Cleveland Cavaliers – Tristan Thompson, SF
- Toronto Raptors – Jonas Valanciunas, PF
- Washington Wizards – Jan Vesely, PF
- Charlotte Bobcats – Bismack Biyembo, PF
- Detroit Pistons – Brandon Knight, PG
- Charlotte Bobcats – Kemba Walker, PG
- Milwaukee Bucks – Jimmer Fredette, PG