Somehow, it wasn’t until last week that I finally tried one of Jeanette Jenkins’ workout DVDs. And within minutes, I was wondering what the heck took me so long. Not only did she give a killer workout (more on that tomorrow when we review her new Jane Fonda DVD), but she also made me feel like she was my BFF. My incredibly buff best friend. She’s down to earth, funny and encouraging.
Besides instructing a killer workout DVD, Jeanette has been featured on the Dr.OZ Show, The Tyra Banks Show and The TODAY Show (like this other workout DVD star), and she has a stellar list of The Hollywood Trainer clients: Queen Latifah (her girlfriend, too), Kimora Lee Simmons, Serena Williams, Kelly Rowland, Robin Thicke, Christina Applegate, Kendra Wilkinson and Carmen Electra (to name a few). Yeah, she rocks.
We recently got to ask Ms. Jenkins a few of our burning questions, and below are her thoughts on everything from Jane Fonda to the best piece of fitness equipment to her favorite workout jams!
Interview with The Hollywood Trainer Jeanette Jenkins
- FBG: You have your own line of successful workout DVDs. Why did you want to take on the Jane Fonda collection, too?
- JJ: I always love collaborations because it gives you an opportunity to learn something new and to inspire and motivate a new audience—and, of course, it is the legendary Jane Fonda. I feel very honored and blessed to be able to do work associated with such an inspiring woman as Jane Fonda. I also enjoy working with the other Team Jane Fonda members: Tara Stiles, Katrina and Karena. I enjoy working with people who share a common goal of spreading positive energy and motivation.
- FBG: Jane Fonda has been a pioneer in the fitness industry. What’s the biggest contribution she’s made, in your opinion?
- JJ: Jane Fonda’s biggest contribution in my opinion is her ability to connect with so many people of all ages and ethnicities and to use her light to help lift people up.
- FBG: Have you done Jane Fonda videos in the past?
- JJ: Yes, of course, I have done Jane Fonda videos, and I am a big fan!
- FBG: How is this DVD similar and different from past Jane Fonda workouts?
- JJ: My Jane Fonda Workout DVDs are similar to other Jane Fonda videos in the past in that they provide safe and effective results and a great motivating workout. They are different in that they are my unique personality and exercise choreography design based on my unique experience with clients and training.
- FBG: You’ve worked with a ton of celebrity clients. Who stands out as being the most athletic? The most dedicated?
- JJ: I believe everyone has an athlete inside them; they just have to have the confidence and courage to pull it out! You cannot be afraid to fall. No one starts off being excellent. You start at an exercise or any task and you work hard at it and improve over time. I think it is important for people to allow themselves to be a beginner, and enjoy the journey of improving over time and learning about their body along the way.
- FBG: Who’s better to work with: celebs or everyday people?
- JJ: I enjoy working with anyone that shows up ready to put in 100 percent with a positive attitude!
- FBG: How would you describe your training style?
- JJ: My training style is holistic, motivating and very results-driven. Holistic meaning all of the components of fitness (muscular strength/endurance, cardiovascular fitness, flexibility), various methods of training (sculpting, yoga, Pilates, kickboxing, jogging, Spinning, weight training, exercise ball, etc.) and improvement of the body as a WHOLE—mind, body, spirit. I approach training from every angle: mental health, spiritual health, physical health and nutrition.
- FBG: If someone can’t afford a personal trainer, what’s the No. 1 tip you can give them to get fit?
- JJ: Your health is in your hands. If you want it bad enough then you will make it a priority. Don’t sit around waiting for the magic “get healthy pill” because it’s not coming, and take your health into your own hands and learn as much as you can so that you can empower yourself.
- FBG: What’s your favorite piece of fitness equipment and why?
- JJ: My Favorite piece of fitness equipment is “The Human Body” because you can create a million workouts with just the limbs of the human body, which is very empowering. You don’t need anything to get healthy—just a willingness and a desire.
- FBG: What’s playing on your iPod?
- JJ: Right now I am loving these artists in my iPod: Rihanna, Keri Hilson, Nicki Minaj, Jamie Foxx and Chrisette Michele. Chrisette Michele’s dance mix of “Boys Cry Too” is amazing! Nicki Minaj’s “I’m da Best” always gets me hyped at the beginning of my workout!
We love, love, love her balanced approach to fitness! And “The Human Body” answer? So simple and true! —Jenn