Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I create an account?
- Signing up for Opposing Views is super easy and free. Just click the “sign-up” link at the top of the page and fill in your membership information. No phony birthdays!
- Can I have more than one account?
- Unless you’ve been diagnosed with multiple personality disorder, you can sign up for only one account at a time. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we’ve instituted this policy to prevent spammers from registering multiple accounts and bombarding the site.
- My account is gone, what happened?
- How do I delete my account?
- Simply contact our staff to request the removal of your account. Be sure to include the email address you used to create your account. Our staff will delete it as soon as possible. Please remember that once you’ve deleted your account the action will be final.
- What is OV’s comment policy?
- Opposing Views is a hub for thoughtful, civilized conversation. Although we’re not looking to censor anyone or their views (we are Opposing Views after all), all comments are reviewed before they are posted. If you have any questions about what types of comments are encouraged on Opposing Views, please read our Civility 101 policy.
- I don’t see my comment, where did it go?
- Your comment is being reviewed by OV’s staff. Users who violate Civility 101 will not see their content posted, while users who contribute thoughtful discussion will see their content posted shortly — and held up like a beacon of intelligence. Or at least that’s the idea.
- What happens when a comment gets flagged?
- If enough individuals flag a comment, it is sent to a moderator who checks to see if it violates Civility 101. Please flag comments that are truly abusive — not something you disagree with. Instead of merely flagging the opposition, write your own comment and let the world see why you’re right.
- How can I report a problem with another user?
- You will meet more than a few people on the site who will make you want to grab your keyboard in teeth-clenching frustration. That’s exactly the kind of disagreement our community needs to make informed decisions. But if you feel a user is abusive or violating Civility 101, please flag the content or contact us and we’ll take appropriate action.
- Can I include html or live links in my comment?
- We remove all html from comments to preserve formatting consistency and dissuade spammers. If you include a URL in your comment, it will be converted to a link. Please note, comments containing links to personal blogs and other inappropriate sites will be deleted. ONLY links to relevant news stories or sites are acceptable.
- Why do you limit the number of comments someone can make?
- We limit comments in order to prevent spammers from automatically posting. Unless you’re a court stenographer, it’s unlikely you can type fast enough to exceed our comment limit. Yet if you do, take a walk around the block, read up on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and then come right back to it.
- Other questions not answered here?
- You can always contact us. We’d love to hear from you and will work to answer your question as thoroughly and quickly as possible. Please remember that Opposing Views staff is comprised of actual human beings who don’t exactly enjoy reading crude and abusive letters. Otherwise, please write away.